Monday, November 26, 2007

Christmas Tradition

One of the traditions in our family was started a few years ago, and I have heard of other families doing the same. Each year we take our kids to pick out their own ornament for the family tree that is in the basement. Tonight was the night and our family night activity. We loaded up the family truckster and headed off to the Christmas store at Gardner Village. We've had all sorts of ornaments from trains and horses to Yoda. But, my most favorite are the Smores ornaments. They are so fun! When I was pregnant with Max, they had a pregnant Smore, so of course that had to be mine that year. This year, our choices were:



Mark - golfing smore
Lisa - Nutcracker girl
Will - Mouse King
Ben - Football smore
Max - baseball (he grabs the bat/ball anytime we are in the garage)

I always write the name and year on the bottom of the ornament so we'll always remember. It makes getting out the ornaments so fun! We laugh and reminisce about the choices of the past.

3 comments:

The Gatherum Family said...

Such a fun tradition. We did that as a kid, but we only got one ornament per yer for the whole family. We would always get an ornament that described the past year so in the 80's we have things like Care-Bear, Rainbow Bright etc ornaments. My dad still puts up the "family tree" and I love looking at almost 30 years of memories in those ornaments. My mom started the tradition for Neal and I by buying us our first ornament so now we get one a year too. Love it!

Becky, yep said...

We do an ornament a year but I just always choose them. I make them something for the moment. Tally got a baby one, of course, Thatch go Spiderman this year and Tag a pirate ship!
Love that tradition!

Lacey Jane said...

I've heard of this tradition before, too... I think it's so sweet! Love this year's picks!