Thursday, January 17, 2008

See Ya in Two


Oh, I have so much to say about this and I cannot type it out fast enough. Last night, we went up to say a final goodbye to Uncle Ryan. He is hilarious. It has been one party after another for him up until today. His farewell was over two weeks ago and he's just been hanging out with his friends every night until the wee hours of the morning. When you sit with him, he is constantly texting his friends. Seriously, I text occasionally, but with him, it is never ending. Apparently he was texting his friends while going through security at the airport this morning. And, he called his parents from Atlanta tonight to check in and to see if he'd gotten any texts. COME ON. He left his room like he would any other day. His dirty clothes on the floor, piles everywhere. His car with everything just as he left it, as if to return in a few hours. He didn't even make his bed. In fact, his mom packed his suitcases for him. He didn't want to get set apart the night before leaving, when everyone would be available. He wanted to wait until the last possible time so he could hug the girls that would be coming to bid him farewell.

I am so excited for him to embark on this part of his life. He has been the ONLY child at home for the past ten years. Luxury cruises, whatever he wanted, he got. Now, it is on with a hard dose of reality. He'll be great!

It brought back many memories of when Mark left on his mission. It was hard. I remember thinking how long two years would be, and at the time, it felt like forever. But, looking back, it went by so quickly that I hardly remember. I remember crying all of the time. I was a baby! But, it was so fun to write letters and have a pen-pal romance. I ran to the mailbox everyday in search of a letter. To this day I still get excited when the mail man comes. I think Mark's letters play a major part in that.

Good luck to Ryan, he'll be a great missionary. We will miss him and so will Will and Ben. They'll miss the teasing and tormenting. The sad thing is that Max won't remember him when he returns. We'll just have to show pictures of Ryan often.

Pray for Mark's mom and dad. Their last one left the roost and Les just turned the big 6-0. We should all go visit often! I'm sure they'll have a hard couple of days/weeks. They just need to stay busy and buy into that house in St. George for the rest of us to enjoy with them.

4 comments:

Becky, yep said...

Missions are hard, you're right they go quick. How's Mark's Mom! Weird, I bet, to send your LAST one off.

The Gatherum Family said...

That is funny. My sister was kind of the same way. Literally cleaning up her room and STILL not packed when I got there the morning we were leaving to the MTC-she has grown up SOOOO much though and it does go by FAST-she'll be hom in JULY!!! Anyways, just talk about him a lot and Max will think he knows him!

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

It is a crazy time. It will be crazy to see how much your boys change in two years. Good Luck Elder Cannon!

Brooke said...

Wow, I never would have guessed that was Mark's brother! Ha ha. Two years seems so long until you look back, huh.