Tuesday, January 22, 2008

It's Come to This


While on vacation Max figured out how to climb out of the pack-n-play. Just after Mark laid him down for bed, I had to go hang up some clothes in his closet. Well, I witnessed Max climbing out of his crib. I ran over and caught his foot, trying to ease his fall. It was hilarious, but scary at the same time. I don't remember Ben climbing out of his crib, but Will did a few times until we finally decided to put him in his big boy bed. I just don't think Max is ready - he's still my baby. We already have a twin bed in his room. I had to buy the matching bed from my nursery set, so we're prepared. But, I'm not ready. I think it's because I remember what a pain it was to get my other kids to stay in bed. Will would take off his diaper (poop filled) and play with his toys, leaving a poop stripe in various locations of his room and a monstrous mess to clean up.

He's in his crib now and isn't climbing out, yet. You'd think it would be scary to fall out of bed. It is such a long way down and he did seem frightened. You'd think that would be a deterrent, but NO. What should I do???

8 comments:

Becky, yep said...

BIG BOY BED all the way!!! Max is your baby for now but #4 will be here in a few years!
Free Max!
Free Max!
Free Max!

♥Shally said...

Jax was in a big boy bed at 12 months for the same reason. Maybe it will be easier than you think...

The Gatherum Family said...

Boe was in his big boy bed at 11 months after falling out of the crib about 20 times. Gage had no choice and was out of his by 17 months in that Boe was then born...It does suck, but it's enevitable I guess. Yeah, glad you are back. Did you have a good time? I hope you had a happy happy birthday!

amanda jane said...

we put the side of the crib down and put it up against the end of the big kid bed. that way there are safer "steps" to the floor. but that doesn't solve the keeping him in bed part. good luck with that!

Kirkland's said...

Oh, what a decision - I'm in the same boat...what to do?? Let me know how it goes, we need to bust a move in the next month. I am going to Vegas on Friday, but next week sometime? BTW, Happy Birthday!!

Brooke said...

I've never had to deal with that. But, my nephew was notorious for climbing out of bed and wreaking havoc at night while everyone was sleeping. They came up with quite the contraption. They kept the crib but used blankets and heavy duty clips to keep him in. It was hilarious! Good Luck!

Sherine said...

OH MY GOSH Lisa.. thank you sooo much for those beautiful blankets!! I had a few of those swaddlers.. but only in boy colors. THANK YOU THANK YOU. You are so thoughtful..

As far as the bed goes.. my kids have all gone in big boy beds early.. We do however buy a 'bunky board' (they are flat boards that go under bunk beds) and forgoe the box spring. That way the bed is much closer to the ground and they can get on it themselves.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I completely identify Lisa. My boys were forced into big beds before they were two because of the new siblings. My girls have no one to force them out, so I'm hanging onto their little prisons as long as possible. They can both climb out, but don't do it unless they're really upset. (And when they do, they usually step on the bottom of the rail outside the crib to help themselves down.) Yesterday, they refused to nap and when I finally went in there for the last time (after nearly two hours of hearing them, giggle, talk, yell, and cry), Allie was out of her crib and handing Anna every toy from the toy box. (Guess I should be grateful their diapers were on and there was no poop involved.) So, I obviously have no advice, but I'm looking forward to reading what you decide.