Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Cecret Lake Hike

For the 4th, we usually go to the Brighton breakfast, put on by the local singles ward in Mark's parent's stake. It has gotten so crowded up there, you wait in line forever for your food. We decided to change it up a bit this year. We met Les and Sue for breakfast and went on a hike up Little Cottonwood Canyon.

We drove up the canyon and you can usually drive past Alta on a dirt road, up to Albion Basin. We drove past Alta only to find that the road wasn't open yet, and wouldn't be for another two weeks! We thought about it and decided to go ahead with the hike. We had to park at the gate and start our hike from that point. The hike to Cecret Lake is only about 3/4 mile from Albion Basin, so starting from the gate added another mile to our hike, for a total of about 3.5 miles!

It was such a beautiful and overcast day. Max was great, but who wouldn't be. He got to ride in the pack on Mark's back. Will and Ben practically complained the entire hike up to the lake. We stopped to rest quite frequently and let Max out to run around.




This chair lift was very high, I had to lift the kids up to it. We toyed with the idea of leaving them there and picking them up on the way down.



About half way up the trail, we started to encounter SNOW! Yes, it is July and there is still a lot of snow in our mountains. Will, Ben and I don't have hiking boots, just Chacos, which are usually really great to wear. Our toes were COLD!








Once we got to the top, our destination, they were so excited. They loved checking out the salamanders in the lake and feeding (bad, I know) the potguts some granola bar and goldfish.







Our mountains are so beautiful! There isn't anything like being out in the mountains and getting a little exercise at the same time. Will and Ben did complain a bit, and parts were tough, so I don't blame them. Overall, I think they really had fun - although they won't admit that to me.

We are so lucky to live where we do! Anyone want to go hiking?

13 comments:

Sherine said...

love your hat lisa.... and your dirt tan feet:)

Cami said...

How Fun!! You guys are always doing such fun things as a family!!

**sorry i didn't call ya back about working your shift...i went on the pioneer trek....it turned out a lot better than i thought:)

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I love going to Cecret Lake. How crazy to see snow this time of year, I thought it would all be gone by now.

♥Shally said...

Beautiful!

Some of the pictures aren't showing up for me... Darn.

Becky, yep said...

So fun...we just went hiking up Millcreek canyon on the 5th! I just love it!

k- you are the only person I know that wears WHITE hiking! CRAZY!

amanda jane said...

so fun! we skipped out on the breafast this year too - can't handle waiting in line that long for cold food. the best part of it is being up the canyon - way to find a better way to do it!

amanda jane said...

ps the food isn't bad, just cold by the time you find a place to sit and eat...

We in Minnesota said...

Looks like lots of families started different traditions this year. Loved seeing the mountains again and snow. However, I'm guessing in Minnesota there is going to be a lot more cold and snow than Utah. Loved the picture of your foot. Lovely.
Lisa Amott

Anonymous said...

Love that hike. It's so beautiful. Although my kids also had the cranks on our last trip to Cecret Lake. Right now snow looks pretty tempting as I sit here in the 95+ degree heat. Glad your cute family had a great holiday.

Debbie said...

I can't believe how much snow is up there at this time of year. Crazy. I am ready for some snow! (Remember how we all complained about the cold? Well, I for one miss it!!)
I might just go hiking up there.

Familia Bethers said...

I love hiking to Cecret Lake! OH HOW I MISS UT! I can't believe there is still snow there in JULY!

Amber said...

Hi Lisa, Yes I guess we are related! That's such a small world! I will have to ask preston about you guys. I would love to keep in touch! Im glad you left a comment. Hope all is well! Talk to you later! Gene is my husbands Grandpa...yes..his mom and dad are Bob and Jolyn Probst. Crazy....anyways- talk to you soon.

Kirkland's said...

We love that hike because it isn't too rough! Love the hat.