Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Take Me Out




Will and Ben started practicing for baseball a couple of weeks ago. I love baseball and watching them play. I don't know if it's because of the spring and the beautiful weather, that we finally get to be outside, or if it's because of the game. They are both going to be on the same team this year, which will be so nice for us! Last year they were on different teams, but Ben is playing up this year.

They are both funny. Their friends are extremely important to them. They had a practice game tonight against another team in their league, and it was my responsibility to get them dressed and ready to go. Easy enough, but they were playing with their friends. And, if I try to pull them away, they transform into two little boys I don't like very much. Well, I was able to get them dressed, much to their dismay, and I let their friends know that they had to leave. The friends stayed in our back yard, playing basketball. That was fine. But, Will and Ben were fighting tooth and nail with us. Saying that they hated playing, that they want to do Karate instead. EWWW! Ben is usually pretty mellow, sweet kid. Will is another story - very ornery. Every morning when I wake him up for school, he yells at me, yelling about how much he hates school. He is going to be my challenge and I've know this since he was little. Very strong willed, intelligent and talks back - I think I know someone that was just like him (me) when she was little. My mom used to say "I hope you have a child just like you", and I think I do.

They've played baseball ever since they could. I think we started Ben when he was two. They love it once they are there, but it's getting them there that is the most difficult part. They are like that with a lot of things - church, running errands. It's just they love playing and hate being ripped away. With church, I used to let them watch cartoons in the morning. Not anymore. No TV on Sunday mornings, and it has made getting ready for church more pleasant.

I thought they had left with Mark when suddenly Ben and Will appeared from the garage. Mark just got so sick of them that he just left without them. Mark had to be there because he is helping coach their team. I was mad! When baseball sign ups were upon us, they both really wanted to play. We informed them that they couldn't pull any of the "pranks" and had to take it seriously. That we were paying for them to play and if they fought with us about playing later in the season, it was wasting money.

I sent them to their rooms the entire night, only to let them out to eat dinner. While friends played outside, they sat inside, reading. I made them apologize to Mark when he got home and they both said that they would never do that again.

New rule: No playing with friends until their homework is done and they are dressed and ready for baseball.

It was so nice to have them locked up. I even made Will dust his room. Isn't parenting fun?

12 comments:

amanda jane said...

this is an idea from some love and logic something I read once, but our kids are old enough to see if it works. divide up how much each game a practice costs out of what you paid. then sit down with them and explain that if they don't perform or complain about this prviledge they will be resposible to pay you back the money you spent for them to have this opportunity. weather they pay you back in chores or cash is up to you. then when they complain you can say "you may either get dressed and into the car with out complaining or you stay home and do such and such chores to work it off." I am gonna try this with Grace for her violin practice, here is hoping. good luck with baseball season!

amanda jane said...

just to clarify - you are giving them the choice and for the most part the responsibility. they agreed to play when they signed up, and you don't go back on your agreements, whether you pay them off or perform you take the responsibility. I am no expert but I think I would have rather played baseball than dust my room if that was the only other alternative! okay enough from me! good luck.

Lisa Cannon said...

Thanks for the good advice Amanda! I'm going to implement this next time. I did threaten to will that I would return his birthday gifts that I had purchased for him in return for the money I had paid for baseball. He didn't like that idea! They need to realize that money doesn't grow on trees!!!

Lisa Cannon said...

And, when they commit to something - they must follow through!

Becky, yep said...

That is a Great Title! I loved it!
I hate those types of things, we started T-Ball this year and are dealing with the same stuff..WAIT, You WANTED to play!?!?
I don't get it!
Good luck! Way to be strong!

Beach Girl said...

Sounds like a familiar struggle. My daughter, Ashley, is strong willed and impossible. She is my challenge in life.

kennyandkristin said...

I am glad that baseball season has begun. Hopefully we can come to a game! Good Luck with getting them to go once it gets nicer outside.

julib said...

You are an awesome Mom. I think that was a perfect response. I am always in a battle with my kids over one thing or another. I think you won that one!

Kristine Tanner said...

You're good! I am so bad at disciplining. It's hard to always be consistent. My kids know exactly how to manipulate me. Can't wait for those teenage years!

Kirkland's said...

I'm so not looking forward to the battles. Good luck. Way to punish them, if they do it again I'd pull them out of it. Tough love - it might be easier said then done - I'm sure I'll find out soon enough!

DeDee said...

Ahhh...parenting. So fun. That's what I do; you don't have to go, but you have to pay me what I paid for the lesson. It works really well with Zoe (she's a meiser!).

Anonymous said...

Okay, crazy! I was just on my sister in laws blog and saw a comment from you. How do you know Kris? (Fleischer or Tanner, depending on when you met!)

I love that girl, so much! We were college roommates until my brother stole her from me. (smart move on his part!)