Sunday, November 30, 2008

Bye Bye Love



I am a big believer in binkies. All of my kids had them and adored them. Will often had to have one in each hand and one in his mouth before calling it a night.

Each one of my kids had special names for their loves. Will affectionately referred to his as his "Muh", Ben named his "kiky" and Max's was "kikers". They loved them!

There is a window in which you can take them away and I think we waited too long with all of them. Partially because we weren't ready for the heartache that was to follow. When we would put Will to bed after he was in a twin, we often had to lock him in his room. Well, to torture us, but it only hurt him, he would slide his out underneath his door. It was the funniest thing!

Thanksgiving Eve was the last time Max got to put a kikers in his mouth. He didn't even get to say goodbye. We always left them home, only letting him have them in his bed. Well, after he threw up on the way to dinner, he fell asleep on Mark without his love. That night, after returning home, we laid Max in his bed without a binky. He lovingly asked for one, but I plainly told him that he couldn't have one. All he said was "okay mommy." What an obedient child! He's napped great without it and slept at night without it. He has been a dream. Today he's been a little ornery and he asked for one before church. I graciously declined. So, tonight I'm going to throw them away.

I'm very excited for the extra space on my shelf all those "kikers" have been taking up. I'm also excited for that ugly rash to disappear around Max's mouth. He's had that rash for weeks and it won't go away. Now it will!!



12 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love that last pic. He looks so sweet! But what I love the best is his rebel one! That one is awesome!

Debbie said...

It is a hard thing to do giving up that comfort object! He is such a cute boy.

Alyssa said...

Hey Lisa,
Max is so big. He has changed since I last saw him in person this past summer. Binkies are awesome. Ashlyn was the only one of my three girls that liked a binky. Jack will take his occasionally, if absolutely necessary. Breaking Ashlyn of her binky was not that hard either. I have heard many horror stories from others about the challenges of finally putting them to rest. Anyway, glad to hear from you recently by email. Love your blog. The kids are cute as ever. Ashlyn especially loved looking at pics of Will. I think she secretly misses seeing him around the block. Happy December. AH in FL

Sherine said...

Wa to go Lisa! And no meltdown? You must be living right.

amanda jane said...

way to go mom! that is a big step for you to take - but I guess it won't be long til you start the cycle again! what a sweet kid.

KMJ said...

Cute post Lisa. I think we did the same with bottles. They wouldn't take them for so long and when they did I wasn't about to give up the bit of freedom I had! None of my boys ever took binkies! I thought I didn't introduce them early enough with the 1st but then tried and tried with the others. They know what they want. Wouldn't have them! Glad it was easy for you. That Max is so cute with that curly hair!

Overbaugh Family said...

Ahhh cute pics of sleepy little Max! I love the names your kids had for Mr. Binx! Yeah- I never had to worry about the binky, my kids never kept the stinkin' thing in their mouth! Hey did you find out what you are having yet??

♥Shally said...

My twins called them their "babies".

Kinda makes you sad that he's growing up though...

DeDee said...

He's so cute! Love the pics!

inkley boys said...

oh my goodness he is so beautiful, what great photos! good luck with the binks Tay uses his thumb and still I catch him once in a while.
michelle

wenderful said...

Oh, that's so hard. They are so cute with them but they're so bad for their teeth. And it's one of their last links to babyhood. He's such a cutie!

Anonymous said...

Anna was my only binky baby. She would suck two at a time. When we finally broke the habit it about killed me. But within a few days she forgot she ever needed one and we were all the better for it! Glad he's doing so well.