Thursday, January 22, 2009

What Would You Do?

Tonight I had to get out of the house. I've been sick since Tuesday night and been homebound with Max. We needed a treat so we headed to a new yogurt spot in Draper. (I'm not going to name any names, but it is new and near Great Harvest). It's the kind of place where you serve yourself the yogurt and the toppings. I got Max's ready before mine, and I spilled some sprinkles on the counter. After we were all paid up and sitting there, enjoying our treat, I noticed something horrible. The guy, who had just taken our cash and change with his bare hands, was sweeping those sprinkles into his bare hands. The same bare hands that had just handled our money. That's not what was bad. What happened next was disgusting and I can bet you can guess what he did. Yip, he dumped those sprinkles right back into the container for the next unassuming diners. I couldn't believe my eyes!

What would you do?

I sat there and contemplated my next move with Mark. He knows me all too well and just thought I should call the manager in the morning. Well, I couldn't just sit there. Once Mark and the kids were basically running away from me, into the car, I confronted the guy. And he wasn't just some dumb teenager. He had to be at least twenty-something.

I casually mentioned to him that I saw what he had done. He told me that he had just washed his hands. I didn't care! I said that I wouldn't serve food that had fallen onto my own kitchen counter. He apologized, but you bet I'm calling there in the morning. On my way out the door, I told him I wouldn't be back.

Okay, I am a bit of a picky eater. Well, I just like cleanliness. It's next to godliness, right? If I'm somewhere eating out and I happen to see the kitchen, I get grossed out. Gross bathrooms - I can't finish my meal.

Yep, I won't be back!

15 comments:

Kim said...

You make my laugh, I love it!! I love that you said something to him, I could NEVER do that...I would have just walked away and never gone back!

Sherine said...

I would call you and tell you to call for me:)

Alyssa said...

I am glad you said something. I know business owners/managers like feedback from their patrons. I always liked information (good or bad) from our patients about how we were doing at our dental office. It helped me determine the commitment level of our staff, and it helped me understand the types of things people were expecting of our establishment. Besides, cleanliness is HUGE in an eating place. It's true that if you are grossed out, you won't return. There are a few places that give me the "willies". And negative news travels fast among friends and associates. Faster than good news. So business owners need to know about stuff like that, so they can put and end to it. Anyway, sorry to hear about the continued cold weather, inversion, and your being sick. I am sure you are not getting "bigger". You are one of those people that always seems to look fabulous pregnant. It's not fair. Happy January.AH

Overbaugh Family said...

That is disgusting! I am glad you told me so I don't go there!! I hope you are feeling better- I'm sure seeing that didn't help!

Shalice said...

I wouldn't go back either! Good for you Lisa! I am a freak about cleanliness around food too.....and my husband thinks I am crazy!!

Groshon said...

eeww! I am totally the same way and at the very least he would have gotten an eye roll from me ;)

oh and dirty bathrooms are THE worst!

Kristie said...

Okay you are so much like me! We went to dinner at Goodwood with friends last night, and I purposely avoided "that place" when it was suggested for dessert. Do you think they have any idea what the world of blogging is doing to their business? I think it is great you said something. I had a similar Subway experience and didn't say anything because I didn't want to be rude, but I should look at it as I'm just looking out for the next unsuspecting customer. Good work girl!

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

good for you. that is awful!

Kim said...

Have you looked at the baby stuff on Ali's blog? I was wondering if you liked any of it I am looking for gift ideas for your new little one. Let me know.

DeDee said...

That is gross and you totally crack me up! I love that your family was making a run for it before you made a scene.

inkley boys said...

you know me I'm such a germaphob! I would have done the same thing, that is so gross, I don't know if I will be able to eat there, but then again I just go back from Mexico where I ate at little out of the way places that were so scary but good and didn't get sick, so who knows we might be stronger than we think.

Efamily said...

So I am definitely the odd ball out, but I personally wouldn't care too much. Hey when times are tough, you just have to eat recycled sprinkles.

10 minute rule?

Ha, ha.

Lisanne said...

I feel kind of bad you are knocking the entire place for a couple of sprinkles! Our cute neighbors own that store. :(
Lisanne (a friend of Kim's)

Unknown said...

really, over sprinkles? aren't you more embarrassed that your husband and kids ran to the car - away from you?! i am sure what was in those sprinkles is worse for you than what was on his hands or counter. i think you should have taken the high road and politely called the owners if you were so upset. no need to makes scenes.

Lisa Cannon said...

It is actually about cleanliness, nothing to do with the sprinkles. For all I know, he could do that with everything they serve! And, I politely told him what I saw, no scenes were made. I actually tried to call them the next morning, but no one answered and I haven't had a chance to call back. First impressions are everything...and I WON'T BE BACK! I would much rather drive to Sandy to a place similar and BETTER!